Police have been out in force on Southern Inland NSW roads this long weekend, but changing locations of the regions’ mobile speed cameras are sure to keep drivers on their toes – regardless of the time of year.
A recent NSW Centre for Road Safety audit of its speed camera car coverage has seen a number of sites decommissioned and others added to a list of 640 locations across the state.
Motorists can no longer expect to see “mobile speed camera ahead” signs on Bowral and Goulburn roads like Bong Bong Street and Faithfull Street.
However, a number of Crookwell and Queanbeyan streets will now be frequented by a camera car.
New locations at Braidwood on the Kings Highway have also been added to the list of where the mobile cameras will target.
Drivers could also now see a mobile camera on Crookwell Road, Goulburn Road, Goulburn Street, Lowe Street, Old Cooma Road and Cooma Street.
The new mobile speed camera locations have been chosen using criteria outlined in the state’s speed camera strategy, including a high number of crashes, alignment with NSW Police operations and even community nominations.
NSW Centre for Road Safety executive director Bernard Carlon said of the 113 new locations statewide, more than 30 per cent were nominated by the public.
“The total number of mobile speed camera locations and the number of hours they enforce has not changed, remaining at 640 locations and 7000 hours per month,” Mr Carlon said.
The decommissioned camera locations could no longer be used for speed enforcement “as there were no suitable places to park the vehicle and position the warning signs”, he said.
The public can access information about current speed camera sites, or nominate a location, via the saferroadsnsw.com.au website.
Mr Carlon said millions of dollars were being spent on improving road safety infrastructure and funding high-visibility policing at key hot spots.
“Speeding even 10km/h can more than double your chances of killing or injuring someone on the road,” he said.
- Bannister, Crookwell, Goulburn, Kingsdale, Pejar, Wayo – Crookwell Road, Goulburn Road, Goulburn Street.
- Googong, Karabar, Queanbeyan – Cooma Street, Lowe Street, Old Cooma Road.
- Braidwood, Monga, Northangera – Kings Highway Added.
- Barrengarry – Moss Vale Road.
- Bowral, Burradoo, Mittagong – Bong Bong Street, Bowral Road, Mittagong Road, Moss Vale Road.
- Goulburn – Faithfull Street, Braidwood Road, Clinton Street, Sloane Street.
- Boxers Creek, Brisbane Grove, Goulburn, Towrang – Hume Highway, Sydney Road.
- Crestwood, Queanbeyan, Jerrabomberra, Karabar – Ross Road, Southbar Road, Stornaway Road, East Yass Road, East High Street.
- Yass – Comur Street, Laidlaw Street, Yass Valley Way,
- Braidwood – Kings Highway, Lascelles Street, Solus Street, Wallace Street.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.