Defending champions Braidwood had a positive start to their defence of the annual interclub Nine Hole Challenge trophy on their home course on Monday.
In near-perfect golfing weather, the Braidwood team of Donna Kuhn (13), Barb Stuart (18), Marguerite Gardner (14) and Di Freeman (15) came in winners on the day, 13 points ahead of the nearest competition, Gungahlin Lakes.
The Nine Hole Challenge was instigated six years ago by the Royal Military College Golf Club in Canberra. The competition is restricted to ladies with handicaps of 26 and above and is played over three rounds each of nine holes only. After two years as runner-up, Braidwood finally won the competition last year for the first time.
The second round will be held at Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club next Monday with the Braidwood team to consist of Di Freeman, Judy Scott, Kellie Biggs and Yvonne Clarke.
Thanks to ladies captain, Michelle Henry, along with Marguerite Gardner, Donna Kuhn, Di Freeman and Barb Stuart for hosting Round 1 and catering for the lunch.
Thanks also to Donna for her gardening efforts around the practice nets. Come summer there should be a lovely display of azaleas to beautify that area of the course.
Golfers are reminded that the Braidwood Ladies’ Open is fast approaching on 9th September. All members are asked to bring contributions for the raffle table. These can be left with Judy Scott or Michelle Henry, or in the club room.
Saturday’s event was sponsored by the Daargun Aboriginal Corporation.
Winners: Mark Newman and Steve Cansell (41 points)
Runners-up: Terry Hughes and Keith Ferguson (38 points on a 3-way countback)
Ball comp: Keith Morgan (32), Tom Duffy (31), Michael Fitzgerald (30), David Jones (30)
- September 1: Monthly medal stroke event for both men and women
- September 8: Men, Peter Warne Trophy, single stableford; Ladies, 2BBB stableford
- September 9: Braidwood Ladies’ Open
- September 10: Round 3 of the Nine Hole Challenge at RMC Golf Club
- September 15: Committee meeting 10.30am, Doubles knockout last day for semi finals, Men’s 2BBB, Ladies Foursomes
- September 16: Ladies Foursomes second round and Men’s Foursomes, 27 holes
- September 22: Mixed doubles knockout last day for semi finals, 2BBB Poppies on Wallace Trophy
The magpie is back patrolling the 7th fairway (at new tanks) and the 9th fairway around the green.