Local Leaders | Chocolate not the only Easter danger

Katie Lyons

Katie Lyons

At any time of the year there are numerous dangers to your pet, but even more so around Easter.

If your pet tracks down the Easter Bunny before you do, they may indulge themselves in a chocolate feast that has fatal consequences.

Chocolate, which contains theobromine, can cause hyperactivity, tremors, panting, vomiting, diarrhoea, a racing heart and/or seizures. Generally the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it may be.

If your pet ingests chocolate, it is recommended to access immediate veterinary treatment, which will include making your pet vomit to remove the chocolate from its digestive system, and then supportive treatment and testing to monitor for damage to the vital organs.

Hot cross buns are also known as a sneaky food hazard, as they are often dropped on the floor by children over the Easter period, and hoovered up quickly by the resident pet.

Hot cross buns contain sultanas and raisins, which can cause acute kidney failure.

Try to avoid letting your pet graze under your dining table, and clean up any dropped food immediately.

Easter is also a popular time to have lilies inside.

Lilies are potentially dangerous to cats, with the stems, leaves, petals and stamen all toxic if consumed.

Don't forget that the water lilies are stored in can also cause harm.

If your cat has had access to lilies, or is showing signs of vomiting, diarrhoea, dehydration or lack of appetite, please seek immediate veterinary treatment, as lilies can cause death in as little as four days.