An event that has boosting the charitable coffers on the community for almost half a century is now turning to the community for support.
The Bundanoon Highland Gathering Inc committee, the driving force behind Brigadoon has raised and donated about $1.5 million to community groups since its formation in 1978.
The celebration of all things Scottish has contributed to local schools, the Rural Fire Service and many other community groups.
However, its ability to provide a financial boost in 2020 was shutdown at the eleventh hour due to Covid-19 pandemic and nationwide lockdown.
This occurred only days before people were planning to kick up their heels at the annual event in Bundanoon.
Not to be defeated by the situation, the small but dedicated committee quickly moved into action planning for the return of the event in 2021. Sadly that too was cancelled due to restrictions on numbers which would have made the event unviable.
But this time the committee has a Plan B in place in the hope of raising some much-needed funds for community groups.
The committee launched a giant raffle late last year and the members have been busy selling raffle tickets ever since.
Committee vice president and publicity officer Alaistair Saunders said he had set his sights on raising about $10,000 through the giant raffle.
However, he is concerned he will fall short of the target with time running out before the scheduled prize draw on April 17 which had been the date set down for Brigadoon this year.
Mr Saunders said there were still many tickets to be sold to reach his $10,000.
He said he would happily deliver ticket books to any businesses that could help with the ticket sale.
And with an impressive list of prizes up for grabs it shouldn't be too difficult to get ticket sales in the final days leading up to the draw.
"There have been some extremely generous people out there to which we are deeply indebted. Many donations have been sourced locally however the prize list extends throughout Australia, and even from the UK," he said.
"It is hoped that people will get behind this initiative and support Brigadoon supporting volunteers by buying a ticket (or two)."
- The Pill Factory, 12 Anzac Parade, Bundanoon. A midweek stay (Tues-Thurs) 15 people at The Pill Factory. Value - $3700
- Quest for Life Bundanoon. Entitles the winner to attend a five-day program at Quest for Life valued at $2395
- Southern Highlands Pub Group, Bundanoon Hotel, Erith Street, Bundanoon. Newly renovated three-bedroom cottage for a weekend. A restaurant voucher for the lucky winners. Value - $1700
- Moss Vale Golf Club. A six day membership to Moss Vale Golf Club. A night at Dormie House for two with breakfast, a golf game with cart. Value - $1450
- Eden Brewery 1/19 Cavendish Street, Mittagong. Five private brewery tour tickets, five cases of beer. Value - $850
- Gryphon Jewellery 2 Mount Road, Bowral. Jewellery - Ring, Pendant and Brooch. Value- $700
- St Kilda Retail 166 Glebe Road, Booval , QLD. Made to measure Kilt in Brigadoon Tartan. Value - $660
- House of Tartan 220 Gooda Creek Rd, Murrumbateman. A kilt length of the Australian National Tartan, double width (13 oz fabric). Value - $580.
Peppers Manor House & Mount Broughton Golf Club Kater Road
Exeter. Two nights' midweek accommodation in a Highland King room for two at Peppers Manor House - Sutton Forest, including 18 holes of golf and an electric cart for two. Value - $548
- Koonara Wines 44 Church St, Penola, SA, supplied by The Wine & Spirit Agency, Sydney. 1 Dozen Koonara White Wine, 1 Dozen Koonara Red Wine. Value - $540.
- The Robertson Hotel 1 Fountaindale Road, Robertson. One night accommodation in King deluxe room for two people with dinner and breakfast included. Value - $500.
- Highland Titles York House, St Anne, GY9 3TA Channel Islands. Two x Joint 100 square foot plots. Value - $500.
- Bundanoon Guest House 101-105 Railway Avenue, Bundanoon. Two nights weekend accommodation for two people in a king spa ensuite room, including breakfast. Value - $440
- Sullivans Cove 1/10 Lamb Place, Cambridge, Tasmania. One Sullivans Cove XO Double Cask Brandy, one voucher for a free Tour & Tasting at the distillery for two. Value - $390.
- Celtic Thunder Coffs Harbour. Selection of goods. Value - $300.
- Milton Park Country House Hotel 200 Horderns Road, Bowral. Degustation dinner for two in Horderns Restaurant. Value - $290.
- Bowral Golf Club - Cnr Kangaloon Road & David Street, Bowral. Voucher for a round of golf for four players. Value - $280.
- Bundanoon Motel 2 Anzac Parade, Bundanoon. Midweek stay for two nights, a bottle of wine and a continental breakfast on both days. Value - $275.
- The Whisky Company Seaford, Victoria. A bottle of single malt whisky. Value - $259
- Monarch Claremont WA. A voucher from their online store. Value - $200.
- Joadja Distillery 1760 Joadja Road, Joadja. 500mL bottle of Single Malt Whisky Release No 10. Gold medal winner at the Tasting Australia Awards (Adelaide) 2020. Value - $189.
- Taronga Zoo Bradleys Head Road, Mosman. Family Pass for two adults and two children. Value - $152
- The Loch 581 Greenhills Road, Berrima. Selection of three signed Cook Books. Value - $70
Learn more about Brigadoon on the website brigadoon.org.au, the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Brigadoon1978/, or Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/brigadoon1978/
You can enter the Brigadoon Grand Raffle here: https://brigadoon.org.au/brigadoon-grand-raffle.
If you can help sell raffle tickets please call Mr Saunders on 4883 7471.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here for the Highlands and here for the Tablelands. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.