Goulburn's COVID testers were out in force on Friday amid cold and drizzly weather.
While attention has focused on clinics at Seiffert Oval and Goulburn Hospital, Capital Pathology has been assiduously conducting the tests throughout.
Regional manager Mark Cummins said 82 people were tested for coronavirus up until 4pm Friday and 72 on Thursday. From July 13, after a Goulburn Hospital painter returned a positive result, to July 23, the Bourke Street lab conducted 492 tests.
"We're doing up to 100 tests a day," Mr Cummins said.
"All swabs are done outside the building and people can drive through and stay in their cars," he said.
Two staff are conducting tests from 8am to 4pm weekdays and results are returned within 12 hours. This Saturday and Sunday, July 24 and 25, the clinic will also be open from 8am to midday.
"People are concerned and worried about the cases we've had in Goulburn but the best thing to do is to get tested," Mr Cummins said.
"The Delta strain is more infectious than other strains so it's better to be cautious."
Across the region, Capital Pathology has conducted 37,000 tests since September.
The clinic at 127 Bourke Street is accessed via McNaught Street between Vivid Smiles Dentist and RSM Accountants, follow the street around until the end. Appointments are not required.
Meantime, Laverty Pathology collector Crystal Bembridge said testers at the Seiffert Oval, Goulburn drive-thru took 211 COVID swabs on Friday. This compared to about 50 on Thursday.
"We generally do 50 to 80 swabs a day but if there's a scare the number doubles or triples," she said.
More people were undergoing tests due to a positive COVID case visited Bunnings, the Goulburn abattoir and KFC Marulan on Tuesday, July 20.
Ms Bembridge said people using the drive-through on Friday were concerned they might have been exposed either directly or indirectly from these locations. Others simply had cold and flu-like symptoms and wanted to be checked.
Other Southern Tablelands testing clinics are located at:
- Goulburn Base Hospital and Health Service 130 Goldsmith St, Goulburn.Entry through the 'old' main entrance at Goulburn Base Hospital. Monday - Friday 9am - 3pm. Saturday and Sunday 9am - 1pm. Times above reflect extended hours due to increased demand.
- Goulburn drive-through Seiffert Oval, Goulburn. Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm. Saturday and Sunday 8am - 1.30pm
- Crookwell Hospital 19 Kialla Rd, Crookwell. Every Tuesday 9 am - 12 pm
- Yass drive-through clinic 1-3 MacDonald St, Yass. Registration is recommended by calling 1800 318 248 before attending the clinic. Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9am - 12pm.
- Queanbeyan District Hospital & Health Service 107 Collett St, Queanbeyan NSW. Entry at the rear of the hospital with dedicated parking on Collett Street. No booking is required. To register, call 1800 318 248. Monday to Sunday 9 am - 1 pm
- Queanbeyan Capital Pathology 23 Antill Street, 1st Floor, Queanbeyan. No booking is required, however, registration is recommended by calling 1800 318 248 before attending the clinic. Monday - Friday 7:30am - 5pm Saturday 7am - 12pm Sunday closed.
- Queanbeyan Laverty Pathology drive-through clinic Queanbeyan Showground car.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: