What a sight to greet visitors to town. Quilts fluttering from balconies and verandahs right up and down the main street of our town. A magnificent display of quilts from all over Australia in the National Theatre, community wedding gowns in the Braidwood Services Club. Did you see your gown on display? Thanks to Meg Davidson for her talent in display. Community Quilts in the Scout Hall.
Many thanks to the teams of volunteers who helped during the weekend from the “boys” who put the frames up in the theatre, the early morning team hanging the quilts in the street, the ladies who displayed the quilts in the main display and then spent time at the front desk and wherever they were needed. Then at the other end of the event, the take down teams. Many hands do make light work. The biggest thank you of all is to the hard working committee who have been working and planning for this event all year.
Most of the quilts hanging in the street were supplied by quilters from out of town, their generosity is astounding.
Thank you to Fiona Hammond for her impassioned talk on quilting and for taking the time to Officially open our Event. She also judged the Grand Champion quilt from all entries both indoor and outdoor.
Winners of the categories Judged by Ruth Van Heff are:
* Grand Champion and Winner of the best Lap Quilt; Lucie Anfiloff from ACT for her quilt “Dragonflies”.
* First quilt by a new Quilter Kerry Latham from Hilltop and her quilt was “On the Elephants”.
* Highly Commended First Quilt by a New Quilter Diana Thompson of Braidwood for “Raspberries and Cream”
* Hand Quilting Award to Beverly Hunter form Moss Vale for “Harvest”.
* Quilt Made for a Child Kathryn Doyle Hailey from the ACT for “Welcome to Wonderland: Alice Mary”.
* Indoor Viewer Choice and Bed Quilt Cassandra Philpot from Queanbeyan for “Midnight Magic”.
* There were two Highly Commended and they were Penny Sheaffe from Deua River Valley for “Cherry Blossoms” and Chris Hargense from Mystery Bay for “Autumn.”
* Art Quilt Award to Karen Travis from Queanbeyan for “Waratah” and Highly Commended was Penny Sheaffe for “Lyrebird”.
* Quilt Made by More than One Person went to Bryony De La Motte form Queanbeyan for “Pick a Point – Any Point”.
* Long arm Quilters Award for a Quilt made by Gwen King from Dubbo and Quilted by Lorraine Burrell of Gilgandra for “Bedtime Beauty”.
* Braidwood Quilt Shop Challenge was won by Robyn McPherson from Queanbeyan for “What fine Cotton”.
* Outdoor Viewers Choice went to Kay White from Jerrabomberra for her quilt “Indian Summer”.