A home has been destroyed after a house fire near Braidwood reignited after firefighters left the scene on Sunday, September 25.
The Rural Fire Service was called to the home on Wallaces Gap Road, Ballalaba part of which was well alight about 1.25am. More than 25 firefighters and nine trucks, plus Fire and Rescue, police and ambulance, attended the scene.
When they arrived, a child and two adults, one of whom is a volunteer firefighter, had self-evacuated.
Firefighters worked for several hours to extinguish the blaze, which was believed to be out about 6am. At that time, about 50 per cent of the house was extensively damaged, and the remainder was smoke affected.
Firefighters monitored the scene for the next six hours, however not long after they left, the fire reignited and completely destroyed the home.
Rural Fire Service Lake George Zone membership services officer Darren Marks said there was an area in the roof line where they now believe the fire was still burning, however firefighters were unable to access it due to a collapsed floor.
“We had people watching it up to an hour before it reignited,” Mr Marks said.
“By the time we got on top of it again, it was largely destroyed.”
Police from Monaro Local Area Command also attended the scene. Inspector Tony Hill said a fire report will be prepared for the coroner due to the value of the property.
An examination of the fire found it was not suspicious, he said.
“It was likely caused by an overloaded power board.”
Mr Marks said the community had rallied behind the occupants of the home.
He said the firefighters involved in the efforts were disappointed with the outcome.
“They did their very best,” he said.
Mr Marks said it was an important reminder that smoke detectors were essential to alert people to the risk of fire.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.